Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Kitchen Collection [49]

I don't ever remember seeing one of these when I was a kid. It wasn't until I met Ken that I first heard of a potato ricer. A what?

Our first ricer was an old one. We may have gotten it at a second hand store (there was a great second hand kitchen store on Divisadero Street in SF back in the day; I wonder if it's still there) or it could have come from his mother.

Our potato ricer. Do you have one?

I learned that it was for making purée, or mashed potatoes. The ricer is a simple press for passing cooked potatoes through holes about the size of a grain of rice, effectively mashing them. The resulting texture, however, is much finer and more uniform than a traditionally mashed potato. Of course almost any root vegetable can go through the ricer, like carrots, turnips, or even celeriac. Sunday I made a purée of topinambours using the ricer.

A food mill works just as well, if not better. But if you're only doing a small amount, I think the ricer is easier to clean up. Our current ricer is pictured here. All modern stainless, but the same classic design.

*****
I'm posting early this morning because I'm on my way to Paris to pick up Ken. His flight arrives this morning and with the strikes, train travel will be iffy, especially with all the luggage he's carrying. Also, because of the train strikes, traffic around Paris is supposed to be a bear. So, wish us luck!

7 comments:

  1. Hoping you both have made it home safely by now. On your recommendation several years ago, I bought I ricer. I have used it a few times. ;-) It works well. I guess I'm not a mashed veggie afficianado! Or perhaps, it never occurs to me that I could be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How nice for you to have him back... I do have a potato squisher... I use it for making gnochi, it makes things all nice and smooth... yummy, now I am thinking about making some. Vida x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonne chance with all that traffic. I hope the strikes will be over soon. We've got one going on in NYC right now that is shutting down Broadway. Strikes are no fun for the tourists.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have made it back. We met up at the airport at about 10:00 a.m. and got home at 4:00 p.m. (with a stop for lunch in Nemours).

    That stainless steel ricer is one that I bought at a garage sale in San Francisco about 10 years ago. We don't use it very often but when you need it it really does the job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always wanted a potato ricer. Looks a little like a cheese grater that I have.

    I heard an NPR report on the transit strikes still going on in France. I know you'll be exhausted getting through it all, but soon you'll be home and together again.

    Happy Thanksgiving in France!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all the comments. Maybe those of you with ricers will use them on Thanksgiving?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was just going to say that the ricer would be great for making Thanksgiving mashed potatoes...

    Happy Thanksgiving to you and Ken!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!