Monday, November 12, 2007

Risotto À La Japonaise

Last week I picked up some nice looking mushrooms at the supermarket, thinking that I'd use them on pizza. I ended up not using them that way. So I had to figure out what to do with them.

These mushrooms needed to be eaten.

I decided that on Sunday I would make a mushroom risotto. I had some frozen peas and thought they would be great in the dish. So I went for it.

The first step was the mise en place. That included sautéing the mushrooms and chopping some onions, getting some white wine out, grating some parmesan cheese, and thawing some of the chicken broth that I made and froze on Saturday.

Here they are, sautéed for my risotto dish.

The only hitch was that I did not have any Italian arborio rice. But I do have a ton of Japanese sushi rice, which is round and starchy, not unlike arborio rice. So I gave it a try. Hence the title of this post.

The finished risotto, with peas and freshly grated parmesan cheese. Now, if I were a professional, that pan would have been cleaned and the finished risotto put in at the last minute for the picture. But, alas, I'm just a hungry home cook.

It worked out fine. I sautéed the mushrooms, then made the risotto using the white wine and the chicken stock. The peas went in about halfway through and everything worked wonderfully.

Needless to say, it was delicious. I wouldn't have written this post had it not worked out...

5 comments:

  1. I have to stop reading your posts first thing in the morning. I do so enjoy starting my day with you and Ken, but I'm ravenous by the time I finish reading. That risotto looks soooo good and it's still soooo long before lunchtime at the office. Just a taste of the risotto, please. Just a tiny taste and I can get back to work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. re:fluid checks

    Who cares about heat - for god's sake, don't let that wine level get low.........
    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  3. susan, I'm glad you enjoy them. What we need is Taste-O-Blog.

    candy, not to worry. I'm making a wine run on Wednesday. Oh, and there is plenty of heating oil for the time being.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks just yummy! I love risotto in general and mushrooms even as much

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum, yum. Too bad I have one daughter who can't bear mushrooms...

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!