Saturday, January 31, 2015

What's on tv

We're getting a new channel. It will be called "Trek" and will replace a channel called "Escales." However, we did not subscribe to "Escales" so I don't think we'll be getting "Trek." Both are like travel channels, but "Trek" will be more about adventure travel, like mountain climbing and throwing oneself off of high places. I"m not likely to be doing any of that. We already get a travel channel called "Voyages" which is more my speed.

Mila Kunis has a new Sci-Fi movie in theaters. I still think of her as Jackie in "That 70s Show."

What not to watch this week. I'm adding a new element to this weekly feature called "What not to watch this week." Our tv magazine rates shows and movies using a star system: one star is ok, four stars is best. They use another symbol for really bad movies: the red dot. It means à zapper (change the channel!). The editors will often include some comments about the movie that usually make me laugh. Here we go:
 
Age of Extinction. An American made-for-tv movie directed by James Kondelik. 2014. First showing.
With Kelly Hu, Robert Picardo, Nick Stellate, Nicholas Alexander, Anthony Marks, and Lane Townsend.
The sun strikes an altar hidden inside an ancient pyramid and initiates an alien invasion. An anthropologist tries to stop it.
Kelly Hu's charm is not enough to save this low-budget, poorly written stinker.
For adults, teenagers over 12 years.

Note: My translation is not word-for-word; I'm trying to express the sentiment as an American reviewer might.

*****
We had some snow on Friday. And by snow, I mean flurries mixed with rain for all of about five minutes. It goes without saying that none of it stuck to the ground. Now they're predicting snow for most of the next week, but it will likely be the same story. Still, we're back to wintery temperatures.

4 comments:

  1. We had a bit of sleet mixed in with Friday's squalls...
    very wet sleet, too....
    I only noticed it as I was sitting in the car reading the papers....
    Pauline was at the dentist.
    Each raindrop broke into little grains which melted almost instantly...
    not nice to be out and about in!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would red dot EVERYTHING (but that's just me).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trek - will there be Klingons?

    ReplyDelete
  4. tim, a good old fashioned snow would be welcome.

    anne marie, I know what you mean. All these channels and there is often nothing on.

    michael, that would certainly make it more interesting!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!