Saturday, October 15, 2011

La Passerelle de Solférino

To get back to my hotel quickly, I chose the Assemblée Nationale metro station. Three stops, a transfer, and then five stops would get me there. I crossed the river at Concorde and this was my view.

Tour boats ply the river in central Paris. Click on the picture to pontify.

The first bridge you see above is one of the newest in Paris. It's a pedestrian bridge completed in 1999, replacing an older bridge that was damaged. The new bridge is actually called la Passerelle Léopold-Sédar-Senghor, but I still call it Solférino. I'll bet most Parisians do, too.

You can see a trio of significant Paris buildings in today's photo. First, on the left, is the spire of the Sainte Chapelle, a gothic chapel built in the middle of the thirteenth century. Next, in the middle, the twin bell towers and spire of the Cathedral of Notre Dame de Paris. Both of those buildings are on the Ile de la Cité. Finally, on the right (which is the Left Bank), the dome of the Institut de France, meeting place of the famous Académie française.

6 comments:

  1. I'm loving these Paris photos!

    How's your neck?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, i hope ur neck is doin better....there is so much more river traffic than in the old days........

    ReplyDelete
  3. The little boat coming toward you looks like the champagne cruise boat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you think I could stop over tomorrow for some photo lessons?
    m.

    ReplyDelete
  5. judy, thanks! Not much improvement, I'm afraid. It's been almost a week. I'll give it another week before going back to the doctor.

    melinda, merci. What do you mean by "the old days?" ;)

    starman, cool.

    mark, yes, I could use them.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!