Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Un jardin sculpté

The garden at the Rodin museum is an extension of the museum itself. Placed among the meticulously maintained plants and trees are quite a few of Rodin's sculptures including the famous "Le Penseur" (The Thinker), "La Porte de l'Enfer" (The Gates of Hell), and "Les Bourgeois de Calais" (The Burghers of Calais).

The rear of the Rodin museum and the rear of the statue in the fountain. It's mooning me!

The garden includes several little fountains or pools, a large grassy esplanade, and a shady café for light, exorbitantly priced, refreshment. Here and there you can see bits of the city poking up beyond the garden walls, but inside you feel miles away from the hustle and bustle.

Looking out over the garden from an open window in the museum.

Walking under the shade trees on this day was very pleasant, as the temperature was nearly as high as the sun. There were a few people around, but the crowds of summer seemed to have diminished. We were lucky.

6 comments:

  1. That looks just like my place. Well, except for the garden, pond and house. But other than that, the spitting image.
    m.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just got up from the couch after watching Midnight in Paris, a new Woody Allen movie. Rodin's garden is featured amongst many wonderful Paris scenes. The movie has a very intriguing story line. Hemingway, Fitzgerald, Picasso, Dali, Stein - No, I won't say any more.
    Leon

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad Mark clarified. I actually thought it WAS his house! Spectacular. One of these days...

    ReplyDelete
  4. September is always the best time to be in Paris. Fewer tourist and better weather.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard nothing but amazing things about this museum but unfortunately I didn't get to see it while I was in Paris. Next time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. mark, exactly what I was thinking...

    leon, I haven't seen that yet.

    mitch, you have plenty of time.

    starman, it is a good month. October can be yucky.

    evol, any trips in the planning stages?

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!