Friday, April 06, 2012

Coconut yogurt cake

This cake is fast and easy to make and is one that Ken and I do all the time. It's a flexible recipe that accommodates all manner of additions and changes without a problem. For example, I added a chopped up apple to the batter this time to use an apple that might have gone bad otherwise.

A coconut yogurt cake with chopped apple.

Last time, I omitted the coconut and used almond flour in its place and added a bunch of black currents. Raisins or other fresh or dried fruits work just as well. Ken made the frosting by mixing powdered sugar with crème fraiche and a little vanilla. I just poured the frosting on and it did its own thing before thickening in place.

Another view before we cut the cake.

Sometimes we make the cake in a loaf shape. This time I made it in a round cake pan. I'm sure Ken has posted the recipe before, but since it's pretty easy, here it is again:
  • 1 cup plain yogurt
  • 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup grated coconut (unsweetened)
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
Mix all the ingredients until well blended. Pour into a buttered pan and bake for 30 minutes in a pre-heated 180º C (350º F) oven until done. Cool on a rack. Frost or eat plain.

10 comments:

  1. Nice looking cake... I think you and Jean should have a Centre blogger's Bake-out and we'll all sit there and taste the results and let you know who is the winner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Simon should enter too - he's a right little bakefest at the moment - those Hairy Bikers have some influence :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the looks of this cake. Tell me this- how much almond flour would you substitute for the coconut?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that looks great! I'll have to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like Tim's idea and I volunteer to be a judge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Send a slice my way, s'il te plait!

    Mary in Oregon

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mouth is watering. And I must admit, I think even I could (and might be willing to) follow this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. tim, I think the winners will be those who get to eat all the cakes!

    susan, lol!

    evelyn, I substituted exactly the same amount.

    judy, let me know if you do!

    starman, you're on!

    mary, sure!

    mitch, oh my! Take pictures if you do. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You really should pursue a career in food photography. You make all those dishes look absolutely luscious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG I've got to make it!
    What's your frosting?

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!