Saturday, May 05, 2012

We made it

We took trains and planes and automobiles. As I type this, I'm realizing that I've been up for twenty-four hours and have had at least four lunches. And a fantastic dinner. But we are very tired and will be heading to bed very soon.

This is the plane we flew on. We were in the very back.

The picture above is our plane. We took off from Paris on Friday afternoon in a half-empty Boeing 747. We each had a row to ourselves and enjoyed an extremely comfortable flight. I wish they could all be like that.

Wow, what a plane!

The other photo is of an Airbus A380, the new double decker. Wow, what a plane. It would have been fun to be on one of those, but it was not to be this time.

We arrived and got our rental car and made it to our friends' home safe and sound. What a wonderful welcome we had: a glorious meal and great company. Now it's time to sleep, even though for us it's actually time to get up. Jet lag messes with you...


  1. The Friday afternoon flight was half-empty; I'll have to remember that for future trips. No, wait, you probably weren't flying into Dulles so it wouldn't apply to us.

    We flew on the A380 last year and it was supposedly quieter.

    Welcome to summer.

  2. I'd love to fly on one of those double decker planes, too! But I'd chose a half empty flight over a full one in that big plane. A row to yourself- wtg!

  3. Hoping the jet-lag passes quickly, the weather is kind, and the entire trip is pleasant (including an empty flight back to Paris).

  4. My thoughts exactly, Evelyn and Mitchell!

  5. As you were arriving at the airport, I would not be surprised that we were on our way into Paris from the airport.

  6. Ah, just like the good ole days....a half-empty plan. I haven't been on one of those in many years.

  7. I've flown once on an Airbus. Wonderful! But not one of those double-decker ones.
    Did you try any of the suggestions to avoid jet-lag? No wine, try to live on the new "clock-time" before you left, etc.? My last trip I did bypass all the coffee offered and didn't order any alcohol. I couldn't do the time difference a day early but the dietary changes did seem to make the transition smoother. Anything seems to help.

    Welcome back to the U.S.A.!

    Mary in Oregon

  8. Where are you Walt? In the states? Stop by for a visit.

  9. We took the 380 last June. I think it was the first week that they were using it from San Francisco, because there were banners all over, and the crew was quite proud and excited about their new plane. The captain even came into the cabin and talked to us, asking us how we liked it. It was quieter. There was less engine noise, so you could really hear the sounds from the landing gear.


Pour your heart out! I'm listening.