Thursday, September 20, 2012

The hazy end of summer

Recent mornings, when not cloudy, have been hazy. Like this past Tuesday. I can tell that the deep green leaves on the grape vines are moving toward yellow. Individual leaves are turning dramatically, but the overall change is more subtle.

Looking west across the vineyard in the diffused early morning light, 18 September 2012.

I have one little project in mind: I'd like to drive over to Montpoupon (the castle in the banner photo above) and take another picture from that spot while the leaves are turning. We don't get the bright reds and oranges of a New England autumn, but the yellows and browns are still pretty. The current image was taken in full summer. It might be nice to have a view that matches the season.

I need to choose a day that's relatively sunny, at least not overcast or rainy. Then I have to go in the early afternoon so that the sun is in the right place. And I want to go before the leaves all fall from the trees. It's not far, about fifteen minutes by car. We shall see.

3 comments:

  1. Good job on the log cutting :)
    Oh, boy, I look forward to seeing Montpoupon in fall colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You seem like a real New Englander with your
    log count. Wood piles are the chief topic of
    conversation there at this time of year. The
    hills are alive with the sound of chainsaws.

    ReplyDelete
  3. judy, new banner scheduled for Saturday!

    sheila, it'll be interesting to see what the final count is. I'm afraid I'm not going to have as much as I did last year, and that was barely enough. Here's hoping for a mild winter!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!