Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Borderline

I've mentioned before that the vineyard out behind our house is a patchwork of sorts. The vines are not all owned by one grower. Rather, the seemingly seamless vineyard is a collection of individual parcels owned and tended by many local growers.

Green vs. brown.

Some of the growers practice organic or near-organic growing. They mow or plow between the rows of vines to keep weeds down. Others use herbicides to kill the grasses and weeds that grow under the vines. You can see the difference in the photo above; the use of herbicide is obvious in the parcel on the right.

I prefer the parcels that keep their weeds. The grass and wildflowers, in addition to being pretty, provide habitat for the insects and other small critters that live out there. They don't seem to have any detrimental effect on the grapes.

7 comments:

  1. There have been several reports the news lately about the effects of the sprays used in vinyards on the local population and, of course, on the workers. Although they expected high counts on the workers, already a negative point, they've been stunned to see high counts in the inhabitants. Each time, I think of you and your proximity to the grapes and your daily walks through the vines. Keep safe.
    In Australia, the bio vinyards we saw had sheep among the vines after harvest to take care of the weeds and grass. The greenery maintains moisture in the ground during the grape season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we lived in Cognac, our house was bordered by vineyards too and I was shocked at the amount of pesticides used in the growing season. If Boris was out in the garden when they sprayed I'd bring him in as with a breeze the spray would go everywhere. Thank goodness Cognac sits in a barrel for 20+ years - that should lessen the effects of all those chemicals!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the organic way far better. I somehow thought the herbicides would be detrimental to the grapes. Well what do I know?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I would make allowances for wine if I knew it was grown as is the left of the photo rather than the scorched earth manner on the right.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder what logic they use to decide whether to go organic or not?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautifully composed photo, Walt!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!