Wednesday, November 08, 2017

Move over, moon

There's a song by the McGarrigle sisters, Kate and Anna, called "Move Over, Moon." The next line is, "Get out of Uranus." It has something to do with astrology. I think. So, here's the recent moon, waning from the full, setting to the west, seen from the island at Saint-Aignan-sur-Cher.

Our house is under the moon, in that direction.

The bridge is our connection to the north bank of the Cher River, where one of our two local supermarkets and one of our two local hardware stores are located. It's the way north toward Paris. I'm standing on the southern bank of the island, looking west. The sun was rising behind me, to the east. The streetlights on the bridge had already gone out.

6 comments:

  1. This shot has it all... moon, bridge, reflection, pathway. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Photo is a classic - though we know that artists, when painting a view like this, would always depict the moon as showing bigger than it actually looks. Doesn't matter, though. Creator's licence!

    Btw: Until perhaps 30 or so years ago, and certainly when I was growing up, 'Uranus' was always and only pronounced with the accent on the second syllable, thus: You-RAIN-us. In recent decades, unless a 'comedian' wishes to repeat a tired old 'joke' we now only hear it with the accent moved forward - YOU-run-us. I don't know if this practice has spread to other English-speaking countries. I think it's now also been regularised to that way in the U.S.A.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a place to live. What a photographer! Once, we were playing Trivial Pursuit. The question was to do with the size of planets. Jerry thought a moment and asked me, How big is Uranus? Clearly he hadn’t thought long enough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your early morning walk on the island has given us some lovely photos. This is one of the best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. stuart, thanks!

    raybeard, I've heard both, but I think I've always said it the first way. With giggles.

    mitch, I don't think it's as cosmopolitan as where you live. The town, not the planet.

    evelyn, thank you!

    anne marie, ;)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!