Sunday, April 11, 2021

Looking the other way

Here's another look at our flowering prunus tree from the other side, looking east toward the house. The big forsythia is on the left.

Where's Tasha? Can you find her in the photo?

We're heading into the second week of our new confinement (lockdown). It's not really affecting us much. We're used to being more or less homebodies, just venturing out for food and wine. We're lucky to have the vineyards out back to walk in with Tasha. I'm thinking I'll go to the Saint-Aignan Saturday market next weekend to see if the vendors have asparagus. It's been chilly, so the crop may be late this year.

We're working on emptying our old chest freezer so we can retire it before it breaks down. We're finding several UFOs (Unidentified Frozen Objects) in the bottom. We thaw them out and try to figure out what they are. A few days ago we found some vegetable soup that we made in 2014. It was fine and we ate it up. I also found a bag of blueberries that I picked back in 2015. I made a blueberry cake with some of them yesterday. I'm hopeful that we can empty the freezer by June. Then we'll use it for a storage bin in the garage until we can get rid of it. Our "new" freezer is an upright with drawers. Much easier to deal with, more difficult to lose things in the bottom.

12 comments:

  1. You are brave to eat that stuff! Glad it was tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that use of UFO, we have a tiny freezer and still things get lost in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great framing of Tasha! Speaking of freezers, when I was a kid (a loong time ago), my mother bought an old commercial ice cream store freezer. It came in two sections, each about eight feet long and two feet wide. Each section had six holes for those containers that ice cream parlors dip from. The holes were labeled for beef, chicken, vegetables , etc. and two were designated for ice cream, of course. Thanks for this great memory of my Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We recently bought a small new freezer with drawers for the garage (did you know you need special kind of freezer if it's to live in a space where the ambient temperature might go below freezing?). We've been able to reorganise the contents of the small frozen food compartment of our fridge freezer which has been really worthwhile and the new one is
    full already. Most of our UFO's looked way too unappetising to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that stuff wouldn't be eaten at our house! SG worries about everything. But even I might hesitate eating 7-year-old soup. But I know you guys know what you're doing. The tree and forsythia are glorious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I remember you blogging about the blueberry picking! Can't believe it's that long ago.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am making a point nothing now goes into the fridge without proper labels of what and when
    If it is good enough for Disney it is good enough for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. An upright freezer with drawers sound like an excellent choice. Things vanish into those big chest freezers, and it's like looking for Shackleton's ship in the Arctic.
    Labeling and date-marking everything, I have learned to my sorrow, is a must.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would have eaten that soup, but I wouldn't have 'fessed up.
    We love our upright freezer with two drawers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. evelyn, we do toss some things that are (a)unidentifiable or (b)not appetizing. We're better at labeling now than we used to be.

    travel, it's a good description!

    bettyann, that sounds like a heck of a big freezer!

    jean, I didn't know that... must be something to do with the compressor.

    mitch, I'm not sure we "know" what we are doing...

    judy, yes! It's been a while. The berries are still good for cooking.

    michael, I'm always tempted to say, "I'll remember what this is." I usually don't. So making an effort to label items is paying off.

    emm, absolutely.

    chris, it makes so much more sense, doesn't it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We suffered not at all. Maybe we were just lucky. It will be good to get rid of the old freezer, which has been with us since 2005.

      Delete

Tell me what you think!