Friday, April 23, 2021

Like a dandelion

These, I think, are called séneçon commun (groundsel), according to an online wildflower identification site I looked at. They look a little like multi-headed dandelions and grow wild all around us. The flowers are much smaller than the common dandelion.

The plant's origins are in Europe, but they grow pretty much world-wide now.

Yesterday's mystery flower was no mystery after all. Reader Tim identified it, but I had forgotten that he had already identified it as red dead-nettle (lamium purpureum) back in mid-March when I posted a photo of it growing in our yard. The difference that threw me was that the flowers in our yard are a pale purple, while yesterday's flowers are a vibrant purple and white. I thought it was a different plant. Our friend B. in Washington DC wrote to identify it as well, but he was unable to leave a comment on the blog. So I thank him for the info.

6 comments:

  1. I learn a lot by reading your blog. If only I could remember it all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what I am going to say....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had never heard of this. AND your photo is wondrous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. judy, it is.

    bettyann, I feel the same way.

    michael, triffids.

    mitch, :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't remember ever seeing those clumps of the seedhead before their blooming! Fascinating! Jacques Pepin on FB yesterday was demonstrating dandelion salad...I didn't open it! So that's all she wrote!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!