Saturday, April 10, 2021

Ornamental plum

This is an ornamental (flowering, no fruit) variety of prunus. I don't know which; it was here when we moved in. It produces these pink flowers every spring. The tree is healthy, but it needs to be pruned, especially a couple of branches on the bottom where I bump my head when I mow under it.

You can see a branch of the tall Christmas tree on the upper right. Just behind the prunus are the two forsythia shrubs. The short, round shrub on the left will be covered in purple flowers later this spring, and the taller shrub behind it is a white-flowered deutzia.

My only complaint about the tree is that we can't see it from the house. There's a huge fir tree blocking the view. It was a live Christmas tree that the previous owner planted when her granddaughter was small. Originally there were two Christmas trees. We had one of them removed (it was sickly) the first year we lived here. The second one has probably doubled in height since then. I'd like to have it removed, too, but we're busy dealing with the dead and dying trees around the property. Since this one is relatively healthy, its removal is not a priority.

Thankfully, I can get decent shots of the prunus from other angles.

5 comments:

  1. The only Prunus I can remember is Elvins and it is not that. While not perfect, the Plant Snap app on your phone can be very helpful, unlike this blog comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have such an array of spring flowering shrubs. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. andrew, I don't have a smart phone. So your comment is much more helpful.

    bettyann, yes. An array. Like radio telescopes. LOL!

    judy, I wish we could see it from the house!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes what a lovely spring you live in.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!