Friday, February 18, 2022

Chenonceau

The Château de Chenonceau is widely known for the gallery that spans the Cher River, but it's not visible in this photo of the castle's northern façade. You can see the Renaissance chapel on the left and on the right is the Tour des Marques, the only surviving part of the original medieval castle.

Château de Chenonceau on the Cher River. Digitized color slide, Fall 2000.

I have taken better photos of this place in the years since we've lived here. First, this shot from 2000 (above) was leaning terribly to the right. I fixed that with software. Second, in my original photo, I cut the spire off the lantern on the Tour des Marques. I can't fix that.

My 22 year-old self and friend M. Digitized Kodak 110 print, Chenonceau, May 1982.

Just for fun, the second photo is from 1982, the very first time I visited Chenonceau. I was with some friends, one of whom I'm posing with as if we owned the place. The person who took the photo had the same problems that I did 18 years later: the photo was quite crooked and the spire is cut off the tower. Nobody's perfect.

7 comments:

  1. Wow! Is that the way you looked when I met you two years later?
    The tower des Marques behind you is not part of the chateau but is well detached.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That second shot makes me smile. Is that Hyacinth Bucket?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good scan from a 110, I processed a few rolls of that in the 70's, finicky at best

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kodak Pocket Instamatic 110, yeahhhhh babeeeeee! LOL
    Almost aAlllll of my 110 photos from that year (and my month of travel before starting the school year) turned out blurred, after I got back to the U.S. and got them all developed.
    How different our photo-taking lives are now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You both look like nobility to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. chm, more or less, I guess. My hair was probably shorter.

    mitch, quite the opposite! LOL!

    travel, I thought it was a fancy camera back then. Things have changed.

    judy, so true. My 110 photos are more or less all right, but my photography skills were seriously lacking back then.

    evelyn, good thing we didn't lose our heads! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I have seen this building - on a Wine bottle of all places! Could this be true?

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!