Sunday, February 27, 2022

La Chapelle Saint-Hubert

The Saint-Hubert chapel was built onto the western ramparts of the Amboise château in the late fifteenth century. Inside is the tomb of Leonardo da Vinci, who spent the last years of his life in Amboise at the invitation of King François I.

I like how two gargoyles are visible on either side of the chapel. Chapelle St.-Hubert, Amboise. Digitized color slide, Fall 2000.

The chapel is built in the flamboyant gothic style, near the time of the transition between gothic and renaissance architectural styles. Of course, I'm not showing you any of the detail, just the silhouette of the chapel against a late afternoon sky.

6 comments:

  1. Makes me think of the Sainte Chapelle in Paris.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning,stunning photo. How perceptive of you to catch that silhouette against a magnificent sky at just the right moment. A photo like this speaks, and says, “This is France.”

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea Mr. DeVinci was buried in France.
    Does he attract many tourists?

    ReplyDelete
  4. mitch,:)

    chm, I can see that.

    judy, :)

    kiwi, thanks!

    michael, I think his presence is a surprise to many visitors. There are questions as to whether he is really buried there, but there is a tomb with his name on it.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!