Sunday, February 20, 2022

Windows and doors

I took this photo inside the courtyard at the Château de Fougères-sur-Bièvre, about a half-hour drive north of where we live. The castle was built in the fifteenth century, rebuilt from a previous structure the only vestige of which is the donjon (keep). The overall style of the building is medieval, but early renaissance elements were incorporated into the reconstruction and subsequent additions.

On the grounds of the Château de Fougères-sur-Bièvre. Digitized color slide, Fall 2000.

The castle is not furnished, if my memory serves, but it's fun to wander around inside nonetheless. There is a gallery inside for art installations.

7 comments:

  1. Rebuilt in the 15th century from a structure that already existed. Incredible. What a beautiful photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's one of our very favourite châteaux to visit. We hope to visit again soon........

    ReplyDelete
  3. I visited there in 1954 a few years before I told you about it.. I loved wandering in those empty spaces!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah! I was just recently trying to think of Fougères, but could not remember the name! I have never been.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always enjoy your photos of doors. They make me wonder what is on the other side.

    ReplyDelete
  6. mitch, those rollicking middle ages!

    jean, I hope you can, too!

    chm, "a few years..." haha!

    bettyann, :)

    judy, not to be confused with the much bigger Fougères in Brittany. This is Fougères-sur-Bièvre in the Loir-et-Cher. Which one were you thinking of?

    michael, probably a bunch of rakes and shovels. LOL.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!