Tuesday, February 01, 2022

Tasha Tuesday

Tasha's stitches came out yesterday without incident. The scar looks good and the cone of shame is no longer necessary. She spent a good deal of the day making up for lost licking time.

Happy to be home, happy to be rid of the cone, not so happy to be still stuck in the corral.

They weighed her at the vet's office and she's lost a pound since the last time. We're cutting her food portions by half and she's transitioning to a new dietary kibble. She gets about 50 grams of kibble in the morning and about 50 grams of wet food at lunch time. Not to mention a half-biscuit after each walk. That's it. According to the dog food manufacturers' portion recommendations, we're starving her. But the surgeon told us that it really doesn't matter which food we give her as long as we give her less of it. I don't think we could give her any less.

Her poops are a little weird right now, but that always happens when we change her food. It should get better in time. It's too bad, because we thought we had a good brand there for a while. Now we're trying a brand that the vet sells. Ka-ching! It's pricey, but since we're feeding her less, it should all even out.

7 comments:

  1. Tasha is a great dog. Hope the rest of the recovery goes as smoothly. My mother had a doctor who sold vitamins. She spent $50/month on those (which he “prescribed”) for years until I helped her find a new doctor. Not quite the same as vets selling expensive food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is the new diet a way to prevent acl issues? I'm pretty sure I need to eat half rations, too. Glad Tasha is doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is a beauty and she looks so happy, even inside the corral.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is chewy.com available in France? The first order is 30% off, and I order all the Rx specialty diabetic food for my cat from them at a substantial discount to the 30% off my vet offers and it is the same brands. Does Tasha seem starved and does she gobble up her food as soon as you put it out? Reducing the quantity by 50% immediately seems abrupt to me (she sure didn't look that overweight...although with all of her fur, she could have "hidden" any extra weight. With both your loving attention to her I would guess you are doing everything you can to keep her as healthy as possible!
    I was so glad to hear the good report.

    ReplyDelete
  5. She looks terrific. I measure my dogs' fitness, for lack of a better word, by the rib method: If you can't feel their ribs and it's all flesh, they're overweight.
    But why change and reduce her food if she's lost a pound since whenever?

    ReplyDelete
  6. mitch, like the surgeon said, it doesn't really matter what you feed her, just feed her less of it.

    judy, she's a cutie-pie!

    evelyn, if that means tearing ligaments, I think so.

    wilma, maybe I should record her growls, barks, and whines. You know, for posterity. LOL

    mary, I've not heard of it.

    emm, she lost the pound since we started cutting back on her portions. I feel for her ribs, too.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!