Wednesday, February 09, 2022

La Défense

Just outside the city of Paris, on a straight line from the Louvre, up the Champs-Elysées and through the Arc de Triomphe, is the business district called La Défense, built on the site of a battle that was fought during the Franco-Prussian War. The statue that commemorates the "defense of Paris" was preserved near its original location.

The avenue de la Grande Armée stretches from the Arc de Triomphe to the Porte Maillot (city limits), then the avenue Charles de Gaulle continues the line through Neuilly-sur-Seine to la Défense. April 2009.

I took this photo from the top of the Arc de Triomphe in 2009. Since then, several other high-rise buildings have been added to the district. Many French companies are headquartered there along with other businesses, government offices, hotels, shopping, and residential neighborhoods.

At the western end of the district rises the Grande Arche de la Défense, a 35 story office building with a large viewing platform on its roof. On a clear day, it's worth the trip up the glass elevators in the center of the cube to take in the view.

5 comments:

  1. I love the contrasts in styles. And just look at that traffic! Evening rush hour?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My immediate thought was the elevator ride, worth the trip in itself

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep longing to see Paris; it would takes weeks to see all I want to experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know why it's called La Défense. Now I do, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. mitch, I don't think it's rush hour. The time stamp on the photo says 13h31, mid-day.

    travel, it was pretty cool when I did it way back in the 90s.

    michael, a good retirement goal!

    emm, :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!