Thursday, February 03, 2022

La basilique

While up on top of the Arc de Triomphe in Paris, I did what most tourists do: I took photos of the views in all directions. This one looks toward the northeast and the Butte Montmartre, atop which is the basilique du Sacré-Cœur. The pointed tower to the left of the domes is the campanile (bell tower). To the left of that is the château d'eau de Montmartre, a water tower.

My photo of Sacré-Cœur on the Butte Montmartre gets the black and white treatment. Paris, April 2009.

A little architectural tid-bit: when you hear the word basilica, do you think of a religious building? The Christian, and notably Catholic, church adopted the common ancient Roman building form around the fourth century or so. Before that, Roman basilicas, built with a high rectangular central nave pierced by clerestory windows and supported by columns, lower side aisles, and typically an apse at one end, were civic buildings used for public and judicial functions. The basilica would usually be located adjacent to the forum in Roman cities.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the lesson on basilicas. Yes, I do always think of a religious building. Stunning, of course, photo. I love it in black and white.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heavens, I had no idea about this history. Thanks, Walt! I just finished my cathedrals unit in French-4, and we were talking about the term, basilica, because of St. Denis... now I'll have to fill them in on this background :) (Once we get rid of this snow and go back to school!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great photo - I had no idea that Paris was at all hilly. The black and white gives it a timeless effect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The photo just confirms what I have long thought - the Sacre' Coeur is an architectural disgrace, a monstrosity. Roderick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roderick, as a native Parisian I do agree with you. I guess the architect tried to copy (and “improve”) a genuine church which is Saint-Front, in Périgueux. The late 19th century is typical of ideous improved chateau and church pastiches.

      Delete
  5. In recent times, all basilicas are churches, but not all churches are basilicas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I learned something; I didn't know one could go to the top of the Arc.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The top of the Arc is a good spot to see the Eiffel Tower lighting up at night - not to mention watching the flows of traffic weaving their way around.

    (I always assumed that "basilica" derived from the Greek for "king" or "emperor": so just as the Popes took on the mantle of roman emperors, presumably they also took on the buildings associated with their authority.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!