Wednesday, June 22, 2022

Ready, Sète, go

After leaving Nîmes and stopping in Arles and Aigues-Mortes, Ken and I made our way south along the Mediterranean coast through La Grande-Motte and on to the port city of Sète. The city is well known as the birthplace of folk singer Georges Brassens. I took this photo from a high spot south of the port. The big body of water on the upper right is, I think, the Etang de Thau. The Mediterranean is to the left.

A train heading north toward Sète. Digitized color slide, 1989.

Storms are predicted again today. We'll see what happens. I called a guy last week to come and take some of our objets encrombrants (bulky items) to the dump. We have an old American king-size mattress, a chest freezer, and a small sofa. The refuse company used to take these kinds of things away once a year, but they stopped doing that when covid hit. So now they point us to contractors get rid of the stuff. Anyway, the guy is supposed to come this evening, so I'm hoping the weather won't force a cancellation.

7 comments:

  1. I suppose the fact that I don’t know George Brassens would explain why I don’t known Sète.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A part of France I know well. If you're facing south from Sète then that's the train coming from Agde and it's definitely the Étang de Thau on the right. It's amazing to see that picture. That section of littoral is still mostly wild but the dirt track you can see is now a proper road (which as you would probably expect gets very busy in the summer!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope the pickup went off well!
    I have been to Sète! It's the place where I put my toes in the Mediterranean, and I'll never forget it. A French friend brought me there back in 2000. I had forgotten about the Georges Brassens connection.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  4. mitch, or vice versa, since we're using latin.

    chm, that very phrase popped up on an episode of Big Bang Theory last night.

    sam, thanks for visiting the blog! I look forward to reading about your adventures.

    judy, it did! We're very happy (or relieved) to have that stuff gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure. I've been a very longtime reader of both your and Ken's blogs - about time I commented and said hello really!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!