Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Walnuttery

The crop of noix (walnuts) on the lone tree out among the vineyard parcels looks good this year. Like the grapes, the walnut profited from no spring freeze. These nuts go mainly to the wildlife. The guy that used to gather some passed away a few years ago.

Walnuts on the tree.

The town across the river from us is called Noyers-sur-Cher. A noyer is a walnut tree, so the town's name in English would be Walnut Trees-on-Cher.

I cut the south forty yesterday. Today, which should be warmer, I plan to do the north forty. I'm still cutting around the wild poppies. They continue to bloom and there are lots of seed pods, so I'm hopeful for a nice splash of red in the lawn next year.

5 comments:

  1. Glad there’s not 5 more acres of the lower 40 you’ve got to plow. I would be in heaven with a walnut tree in my backyard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think that I had connected in my head that a Noyer was a walnut tree... ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for saving the wild poppies.
    BettyAnn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shouldn't that be "Walt-nuttery"? *smirk*

    Sassybear
    https://idleeyesandadormy.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can pickle green walnuts (my brother does from time to time), though they are perhaps an acquired taste

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!