Sunday, April 24, 2011

Our neighbor the French guy

The first people we met in our neighborhood eight years ago are an older couple who own the house across the road from us. It's their summer house. Their main house is in Blois, about a forty-five minute drive from us. Bernard and Maryvonne spend July and August here, but also many weekends during the spring and fall. They've been here all week this past week getting the house ready for a big family Easter gathering today.

Bernard doesn't know I took this photo of him working in his yard. I love the straw hat!

Over the winter they had the main room of their house completely redone. New walls, stripped and refinished beams and floor tiles, and new electrics. The guy who did the work actually stayed at the house during the week for the past few months. Now the work is done and they're putting the room back together. It serves as both the living room and dining room.

They both spend a lot of time in their large yard and garden. Bernard sits on his tractor mowing for several hours each week. Maryvonne waters the flowers and herbs and picks raspberries, plums, and red currants through the season. They're both very nice people and have been very welcoming and friendly with us through the years.

Bernard is eighty-one years old this month. Maryvonne is a few years younger. I hope I'm able to get around and do the kinds of things they can do if I'm lucky enough to make it into my eighties!

10 comments:

  1. hes a handsome gentleman! happy easter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your secret photo! A good neighbor is a blessing- I'm so glad these two were so welcoming.

    Also love hearing about your market day and that pricey chook! Want to hear how it tastes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, you weren't at the market were you, Walt? I forgot which blog I was on today... Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too hope to be just as active when I'm 81.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Easter to everyone, including Monsieur Bernard et Madame Maryvonne!

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm, are you sure he's French? Those shorts....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Starman. I don't think he's French at all.
    But I do enjoy seeing People pictures.
    Happy Easter.
    Your Friend, m.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You obviously lucked out with having good and friendly neighbors when you bought your home!

    That's the hardest part of buying - one never REALLY knows until after a few years...

    Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We're both fortunate to have good neighbors. Bill and I also has wonderful neighbors here at our home in coastal Delaware. We had a beautiful home in the wooded hills of southeastern Pennsylvania but we had the awful neighbors. They were homophobes. Life was not pleasant in Pennsylvania. I'm glad you have good neighbors. It makes all the difference in the world to a pleasant life. Happy Easter Walt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. they sound like fortunate people, indeed.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!