Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Monumental

While we wait for spring to do its thing (the least of which is to actually arrive), I thought I'd post some photos from the last time Ken and I were in Washington, DC, back in 2006. I was using my old Panasonic Lumix FZ7 camera which was new at the time.

A sunny day with clear blue skies. Washington, DC, October 2006. That's a kite flying up to the left of the dome.

This is a view of the Capitol dome and the base of the Washington Monument on the National Mall. The distance between these two buildings is 1.8 kilometers (just over 1 mile).

I'm looking east from the vicinity of the WWII monument. This was the first time I saw that particular monument which opened in 2004; it wasn't there when I lived in DC back in the mid-1980s.

7 comments:

  1. Scaffolding is rising around the Washington Monument this spring, repairing earthquake damage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dayum, I lived in DC from 1979-1999. AND WE NEVER MET! boo hoo hoo! :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Walt, what an amazing photo. I've never seen those two icons looking so close together, with all the intervening Smithsonian museums out of the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how close these appear in your photo....good vantage point.
    Maybe I'll try for a shot like this the next time I'm there...thanks for the inspiration Walt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice photo. It looks like it was a breezy day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our last trip to DC was in 2007. The last trip before that was back in the fifties on a high school field trip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. travel, I read that they're expecting to re-open in 2014.

    anne marie, where did you live? I was on Capitol Hill between 83 and 86, in Arlington before that.

    carolyn, thanks!

    virginiac, you're welcome!

    chris, quite blustery, if I remember correctly.

    starman, it's a cool place, and it has changed a lot since I lived there.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!