Saturday, September 13, 2014

It's not the primrose path

It's the iris path. I spent two mornings working on liberating this short path between our garden gate and the shed where the garden tools live. Since we moved in (over eleven years ago), the irises and the elephant ears (saxifrage) had taken over the path. It was completely covered over with growth and for the last few years I've had to walk on the grass to get to the shed. Ken told me he didn't even remember there was a rock border there.

The little path is free! The pile of irises is on the left, the pile of saxifrage is by the gate.

So I got out the fork and the spade and started at it. At first I couldn't get the irises to budge and I almost gave up. But after trying a couple of things, I finally figured out how to dislodge them. It took a couple of hours, but I ripped out the plants and their roots and made two piles: one of irises for relocation and the other of elephant ears for getting rid of. I ripped out a fair amount of ivy as well. Ken spent a morning trimming the ripped-out irises and replanting them in a plot behind the shed.


  1. Your progress is visible and walkable, too.

  2. Irises are tough to uproot for divisions. Reason that now I have transplanted mine in bordered plate-bandes so that they don't run all over the place. They are like mint in my book, except that mint is easy to dislodge :-)

    1. t.b., I have my mint in a raised bed (it's the real fake well out back) to keep it under control, but the irises roam freely!

  3. Wow -- lots of hard work. Great results, Walt!

  4. A fine accomplishment; looks great!

  5. I remember this: out of control irises. You did a fine job thinning them. I hope next year they are more stunning than usual.


Tell me what you think!