Thursday, November 28, 2019

Jive turkey

It's Thanksgiving, that American holiday centered on roasted turkey, stuffing, and cranberry sauce. But not here. The television news has had reports about the holiday, explaining it's origins and customs to French viewers. It's a curiosity. But they really get into the "Black Friday" thing. So much so, that we are, and have been for a few weeks, experiencing "Black November." In English, no less. It's all about selling stuff for Christmas. Duh.

Pumpkin pie cooling in the oven.

As is customary in our house, we will roast a leg of lamb. It's a tradition we started at least thirty years ago, perhaps more. And it has served us well since the move to France because whole turkeys are not generally available here until closer to Christmas. We'll pick out the poultry next month.

However, we do not dispense with all of the T-day traditions. I made a pumpkin pie on Wednesday. Last year we had a bumper crop of potimarrons, a pumpkin-like squash with a chestnutty pumpkin flavor. I roasted a lot of it and froze it. We've used it to make several batches of pumpkin-based enchilada sauce, pumpkin bread, and now pumpkin pie. I didn't grow any pumpkins this year, but I'm thinking that I will again next year.

6 comments:

  1. Ooh, I’m craving pumpkin pie. We now have Black Friday Week here. Argh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our Black Friday now begins on Thursday... on Thanksgiving... it's horrendous.

    Your pie looks fabulous! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a good looking pumpkin pie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think lamb would be a great improvement on turkey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am thankful for knowing you
    I am horrified about the Black Friday thing - fascinated though it is in English - I thought there was a 'no english' rule there?

    ReplyDelete
  6. mitch, thankfully, the black friday thing is not as zany as it is in the US. Yet.

    judy, I always avoided those things. I don't need/want anything that badly. I also often worked on the friday after T-day; quiet time at the office!

    evelyn, it was tasty, too!

    chris, I do like turkey, and we frequently have it at Christmas.

    michael, :) No "no english" rule. But there is a "no english rule." They kicked the royalty out a long time ago. lol

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!