Wednesday, March 02, 2022

Chambord, fin

Here's a third, and last, black and white image from the Château de Chambord. This time, I'm looking down into the courtyard of the royal residence from the roof of the donjon (keep). You can see the exterior of this part of the castle on the extreme left side of the banner image above.

Logis royal, Château de Chambord. Digitized color slide, Fall 2000.

Just a reminder: I'm scanning color slides that I took during our first Loire Valley vacation back in the fall of 2000. I did some scanning a number of years ago, but in a scattershot manner. Now, I'm trying to get all the images scanned, in order, as a record. My old slide projector is no more and I have no other way to look at the photos. I've been posting selected images from the trip, certainly not all. The quality is acceptable, but I am retouching the photos to correct minor flaws, not the least of which is dust on the slides. I have a brush and blower to help, but they don't get all the dust off and some of it gets scanned. I can also adjust the exposure, the color, and even turn the images into black and white versions of the color slide. Thank goodness for software!

8 comments:

  1. This really is a wonderful building for black & white. I love seeing the structure of the spiral staircase from the exterior.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice scans, that is time consuming work, I scanned all of my father's after his death. I like the black and white conversion. Are you seeing a lot of color shift in the slides?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What software do you use? I have a lot of my parents slides that I need to convert. Yours are inspiring me to get started now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I recall, I needed a special scanner and software for my father’s glass photos. They were negatives and I had to turn them into positives. I used Photoshop.

      Delete
  4. I scanned my father’s glass photos, dating back to 1882, to digitize them. Of course, at that time, they were black and white and I’m very glad I did that. They were surprisingly good after more than a century!

    ReplyDelete
  5. mitch, the building is mostly b&w anyway, so it works well.

    travel, the color seems ok, except that there's a lot of blue. I think I remember Ektachrome film being heavy on the blue. Now I can tone it down or remove it.

    mary, I use Adobe Lightroom. Before that, it was Adobe Photoshop Elements. The slide scanner is a Canon model that scans 4 slides at a time. I scan them in photoshop, save them as JPEGs, then import them into Lightroom. It's a process, but I get into a rhythm, and it goes ok.

    chm, I have a very faint memory of seeing glass slides when I was a kid, but they were long gone by the time I started taking pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ektachrome is blue, and not as color stable, Kodachrome is warm and much more color stable. I also had several roles of GAF slides.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes, I must have asked you the same question before, Walt! I remember that name: Lightroom!
    My Mother had a lot of GAF slides. None are in glass, though. I do have a slide scanner that scans just 1 slide at a time.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!