Saturday, March 12, 2022

Villandry

The Château de Villandry is impressive, but it's best known for the impeccable gardens that surround it. I've posted about them before, with photos from 2001 and from later in 2014. Type "villandry" in the search box (above left) and scroll through to see them. I'll post a few of the images from 2001 over the next days, re-scanned and retouched of course.

Renaissance and medieval styles side-by-side at Villandry. Digitized color slide, Spring 2001.

Looks like a showery weekend ahead for us, but a warm-up is predicted for next week. There's no lack of gardening chores to get done. Yesterday I trimmed the hydrangeas that flank our garage door. They're starting to leaf out now. Just as I finished, the wind picked up and blew the dead flower heads all over the yard. They looked like little tumbleweeds rolling along the ground.

6 comments:

  1. I’ve been browsing the old posts. What an amazing place. Even their pumpkins -- which they appear to grow without any messy vines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tumbling tumblewweds are both an image and a song going through my head now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evelyn, when I lived in Salton City, tumbleweeds were common occurences. Wasn’t it Burl Ives who sang that song.

      Delete
    2. chm,
      Close.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQc5gDXQGIs

      Delete
  3. mitch, I should try that variety in my own garden.

    evelyn, mine, too!

    judy, thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!