Wednesday, March 16, 2022

More from the garden

Not mine. The garden at the Château de Villandry. These shrubs (could they be boxwood?) were skillfully sculpted into topiary. The funny thing is that I don't remember seeing them the last time I visited Villandry which, if I'm not mistaken, was back in 2014. I wonder if they had been removed between 2001 and then. I wouldn't be surprised; the gardens do change from year to year.

Topiary at Villandry. Digitized color slide, Spring 2001.

It didn't get as warm yesterday as predicted. It's supposed to not get even warmer today. They're predicting 19 or 20ºC, depending on which forecast you look at. My goal for the day is to tidy up the patch where the big juniper was (we had it taken out last fall) and sow some grass seed. There are remnants of the juniper and other things that need to be cut fist. A few will need loppers, most just a quick pass with the lawnmower. Already the wild grasses and other plants that make up our "lawn" are colonizing the patch. Maybe by summer it will all be filled in.

2 comments:

  1. Don’t those topiary make you want to do the same around your gardens?

    ReplyDelete
  2. mitch, I started a topiary in our garden once. A rosemary. It froze to death the second winter.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!