Saturday, March 11, 2023

C'mon in

I think this might be the front door of the Château de Chenonceau, but I don't remember exactly what it looks like from inside. Once again, it's one of those shots I got with no people in it. The castle is known for its elaborate cut flower arrangements.

If anyone recognizes this as not Chenonceau's front door, please let me know. March 2006.

Today is market day in Saint-Aignan. I hope to find some cabillaud (cod) at the fish monger's stand. I saw some last weekend that looked amazingly good. We don't eat a lot of fish these days, mostly because it's become very expensive. But once in a while it's worth a splurge. I remember when cod was considered a common fish and it was cheap. Those days are gone.

6 comments:

  1. I'd love an entry hall like that. And the fresh flowers every week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know of at least one French person who refers to a visit to the fish market as going to "the jewelry store," so inflated have the prices become for fresh fish trucked in from the coasts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you find some cod. How will you cook it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good question, Evelyn! I hope you or Ken will share the cod dish with us, even if it's just battered and pan fried :) My mom and dad (having grown up in New England) liked to have scrod just pan fried after a drench in milk, flour, and seasoned bread crumbs. Yumm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All fish seems expensive; those were happier times.

    ReplyDelete
  6. mitch, I'll alert the staff.

    kiwi, I'm not surprised!

    evelyn, Ken steamed it and served it with a beurre blanc.

    judy, that sounds good! Next time: fillets!

    michael, I worked for a short time in a fish and chips place when I was a teenager. We ate for free!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!