Friday, March 24, 2023

Something old, something new

I guess I'm what's old. The glasses are new. I went to the optical shop yesterday morning (one I've never been to), arriving at 09h00, just as it was opening up. The only staff member there was a young guy, probably in his late twenties, and there were as yet no other customers. So I posed my question about taking the lenses (yes, they are progressives) out of a pair of frames I don't like (my backup pair) and putting them into another pair that I do like. Ken bought a new pair of frames a while back, but for some reason his lenses weren't right and his eyelashes brushed against the lenses when he blinked. He didn't ever get used to them and stopped wearing them. But I like the frames.

Walt's got a new pair of glasses.

The optician said that yes, if the new frames were smaller than the old frames, the lenses could be cut to fit. Then he asked me, "Do you have other errands to run? I can have these ready in about fifteen minutes." I was so surprised at the "instant" service that I didn't even ask about price. I just said yes and walked up the street to a café and enjoyed a double expresso. When I got back to the shop, the guy was done and he handed me the "new" glasses to try on. Perfect! I can see even better than with my "good" pair. I was amazed. I asked the guy if he needed to see my health care and insurance cards and he said no. Nothing required. No cost at all. Have a nice day! Again, gobsmacked.

So, for now, I have this new pair of glasses and my old favorites (that I've been wearing since 2016) are relegated to "backup" status. Ken's going to get his most recent prescription put in my former backup frames. He likes that they're bigger and is hopeful that he'll be able to see better with them.

I left the optical shop and walked up to the health food store, arriving at 09h30 just as it was opening. I found barley (pearl barley) and some corn meal and was quite happy. I was on the road back home by 09h45.

14 comments:

  1. Well, I know where you will buy your next pair of glasses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jan from Perth24 March, 2023 10:33

    Suits you very well, Walt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I always said opticians were nice people. HA HA.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What Joanna said! Like those frames on you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look great and what a successful day you had before it was even 10:00 o’clock!
    BettyAnn

    ReplyDelete
  6. No fee for that service? Wow! You would never that done for free in the US.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My experiences with France have either been excellent, or impossible.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I’ve always been surprised and pleaseed that these little services were free in France. Those frames fit perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes!
    Next time though remember the 20/20 line is DEFODPCT that way you won't get any.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow set. You look great and couldn’t ask for a better deal!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!