Monday, August 05, 2024

And one more

Here's another in my mini-series of photos taken on or near the Roman road in Saint-Aignan. This one is a typical farmhouse called une longère. Houses in this style typically face south and are one-room deep. Windows on the north side, if there are any, are generally small. Sometimes, livestock occupied one end of the building. These days, many longères have been renovated with bigger window openings, finished attics, and other modern amenities.

A longère overlooking a vineyard.

If the weather gurus are correct, this week should be quite pleasant. I'll probably try to get the grass mowed again.

5 comments:

  1. Having the livestock living in house would be an advantage in the winter time- easier to feed and they would add some warmth to the house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary in Oregon06 August, 2024 00:03

    I have seen so many houses like this, (I think) but never knew of the word, longère. Merci!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mitch, thanks!

    evelyn, and probably a few smells...

    judy, I think evolution would have weeded me out.

    mary, there are a lot in our region. Wikipedia says they're common in Normandy and Brittany.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!