Friday, August 16, 2024

Eglise Abbatiale Sainte-Marie

Or, if you prefer, the abbey church of Saint Mary. It's in Souillac. I'm still shuffling old photos, so some are somewhat out of order. But they're still from our trip to the Dordogne region in April 2006. Souillac is actually in the Lot, by the way. But it's on the Dordogne River and it's very close to the Dordogne département.

Angles, arches, and corbels, oh my!

All of a sudden, it seems, it feels like fall. Such a wacky weather year!

6 comments:

  1. More stunning architecture! Still a hot August here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hot August days here, too.
    This is a great photo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful shot! I’m guessing that Souillac is pronounced SWEE yak. Please correct me.
    BettyAnn

    ReplyDelete
  4. mitch, as it should be!

    judy, merci!

    bettyann, that sounds pretty close. I might say suey-AK. Suey as in chop suey. LOL The faster you say them, the more they sound exactly the same.

    ReplyDelete
  5. whenever I see these splendid old churches it makes me wonder how 'alive' they are. Do people attend Mass? Are they full of clergy types? Is it a vibrant living place or a mere museum?

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!