Saturday, April 25, 2015

What's on tv

This week's cover celebrates the upcoming season of summer sports. There will be swimming (world championships in Russia), cycling (le Tour de France), tennis (Roland Garros), rugby (World Cup), and track and field (world championships in Beijing), among the highlights. I know I'll be watching the tennis and the cycling. I'm not really into the cycling per se, but they usually have terrific aerial views of France during the three week race.

A sports-filled summer. Just like last year. And the year before that.

What not to watch this week. Our tv magazine rates shows and movies using a star system: one star is ok, four stars is best. They use another symbol for really bad movies: the red dot. It means "à zapper" (change the channel!). The editors often include comments about the movie that make me laugh.

We leave the weather disasters behind this week and move into the realm of alien visitation. This time, it's the Roswell, New Mexcico, mythology, starring Denise Crosby, probably best known for her stint as Tasha Yar on Star Trek: The Next Generation. She knows her space aliens.

Invasion Roswell. American made-for-tv movie. Directed by David Flores, 2013.
With Greg Evigan and Denise Crosby.
Sixty-six years after they crashed in Roswell, aliens return to invade Earth. Veterans of an elite force are called to the rescue.
This flop feels like it was made in the 1980s with a paltry budget and washed-up actors. The sound effects used for the weapons are ridiculously absurd.
For adults and children over 10.

7 comments:

  1. The cover this week looks good. The tour de France is wonderful to watch. I also like tennis and swimming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to have the Tour on in the background :) I was showing my students a youtube video of one of Lance's amazing stage wins, recently, (we were learning the words for the various maillots of the Tour), and looked at the top 5 at that point in that year's race... each one has since been caught doping :) Makes it clear that they were really on an even playing field competing against each other.

    Love the way they don't mince words about the ridiculousness of the "Don't watch this week" shows :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice Article sir, Keep Going on... I am really impressed by read this. Thanks for sharing with us. France National Flag Images.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the reviews in your TV mag. An expat I met here is planning his first visit to the United States. He's going with a group of friends who are going to rent motorcycles and bike across the country. He told me he really wants to visit Roswell to find the aliens' graves and somewhere in Wisconsin to find the giants' graves. We don't talk often.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remain fascinated to see english words among the french ones. It seems comical in a way. I would have supposed there would be some French equivalent to them rather than the actual.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I met A when le Tour was on, and I was glued to the tube - recording everything then watching. He was a good sport then, but now refuses to be sucked in when I get on a Tour jag. While the cycling is fantastic, the views are spectacular.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!