Thursday, December 05, 2019

Barenaked maples

It's official. All the leaves have fallen from the twin red maples out front. If you read Ken's blog, you will know that we finally got it together to rake them up on Wednesday. They had dried out enough to move and, now, most of them are out in the vegetable garden plot. Last year we raked up the leaves on November 24, so we're not too far behind. It's just been so wet.

Some birches around the 'hood are still golden, and the hedge around our yard will stay green through winter. But the maples are bare.

Today my plan is to put the holiday lights up on the house. We're expecting another day or two of dry sunny weather, so it's time. On Friday morning, I plan to go on a quest. This time of year we usually make coques (cockles) with linguini to help break up the heavy holiday meals of lamb and poultry. But, the fish monger at the Saturday market in Saint-Aignan where I could get them quit the market earlier this year. I'm going to drive over to the Friday market in a nearby town to see what their fish mongers have. Hopefully, I'll come back with some coques or maybe some little clams.

9 comments:

  1. Holiday lights? What does that mean?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’ve got the Big Bang Theory theme playing in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  3. most of our trees are naked also. we even had a snow shower this past monday.

    I see you changed your blog picture; still handsome! :)

    I will be putting up a few (inside) holiday decorations this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. andrew, are you referring to the "war on christmas?"

    john, and they do!

    mitch, then my work here is done! ;)

    anne marie, I'm hoping for a little snow this year. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think there is a war on Christmas in France or here in Australia. Cheap shot by me, sorry, but I amazed at how Happy Holidays has been embraced in the US and puzzled as to why you used it. Maybe because of your American readership.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We say "happy holidays" for two reasons: There's Christmas but also New Year's Day, not just one "holiday." And anyway, the U.S. is not officially "Christian." There is no Church of America on the model of the Church of England. And in France, people wish each other bonnes fêtes de fin d'année — "happy end-of-year holidays."

      France is not officially Christian either. There is a war on commercialized Christmas in France, and it is not common practice here to send, for example, Christmas cards, because Christmas is considered to be a family holiday — a private observance — not a public one. The public holiday is New Year's day, when friends get together to celebrate. People send New Year's cards to express their best wishes.

      Delete
    2. I knew about France being officially not religious and the low-key Christmas, but not about the New Year's cards. I like that approach.
      When you come right down to it, almost all the Christmas stuff was appropriated from various pagan and much earlier celebrations of the return of the light after the winter solstice.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Ken. Here we separate Christmas and New Year, for good or bad. I don't think Australia is Christian either. Politicians can swear oaths of allegiance to any religion or none at all. You gave me much to ponder about the differences between similar countries.

      Delete

Tell me what you think!