Sunday, December 01, 2019

Corn muffins

I had a hankerin' for corn muffins the other day, so I looked up recipes on line. I found one called "Extra-Corny Cornbread Muffins" on the Bon Appetit web site. It attracted me because it included whole corn kernels in the muffins and that's what I wanted. So I gave it try on Saturday.

Corn muffins cooling in the oven.

The recipe wasn't difficult and the batter, while thick, spooned easily into the muffin tin. My muffins look a little rougher than those in the recipe's illustration. But isn't that always the way it goes? The important part is that they taste pretty good. Craving satisfied.

And on the rack. Some of the kernels slid off the tops onto the table. I ate them.

Of course, I substituted canned corn for the fresh-off-the-cob corn called for in the recipe. I also used a mixture of plain yogurt and crème fraîche to replace the sour cream. They're not too sweet, so they'd go well with a savory, spicy dish, or just by themselves with a little butter.

11 comments:

  1. Send me one or two for my breakfast. I'm hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too tempting! This really looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rough? I love the way they look! Save one for me, too, please! BTW, I've never had corn muffins with whole corn in it - I've just had cornmeal products. Ummmmm, I may have to look up that recipe from Bon Appetit! And, Bon Appetit to you, two!

    Mary in Oregon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yours look so much better than the ones Someone likes to make, from Jiffy Mix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RTG uses jiffy mix for corn (pan)cakes, usually on sunday mornings.

      Delete
  5. chm, if you click on one, you can download it. LOL

    mitch, we ate some with a lamb curry on Sunday.

    judy, yes!

    thickethouse, they were pretty good, if I do say so myself.

    mary, I have a memory of corn muffins from a diner in my home town. These aren't those, but they're pretty good nonetheless.

    michael, I'll bet his take less time to make... hence the name.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I usually make my corn bread with canned corn kernels.

    I am imagining your muffins hot and spread with honey butter (and no, that is NOT a double entendre for something else; get yer mind outta da gutter).

    ReplyDelete
  7. The recipe says to oil the pan, but then to divide the batter among the baking cups. Did you use those, because it doesn't look like that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. anne marie, it's good that way, I think.

    emm, I did not use paper cup liners, if that's what they mean. I took it to mean just the "cups" in the muffin pan itself. And I used butter to grease the pan.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!