Wednesday, December 18, 2019

It's beginning to look a lot...

... like you-know-what. Here are three Santas. The tallest was a gift from English friends not so long ago. I've embarrassingly forgotten where the middle one came from. The small one in the snow globe is one that I bought from Macy*s back in 1978 or so. Notice the star (asterisk) in place of an apostrophe. That was a marketing thing.

Three Santas and a pretty Christmas card.

That snow globe has lost some of its water over those forty years. I don't know how because it's never leaked. And the snow is less white than it used to be. It's almost brown. I remember thinking I was splurging to buy a snow globe for ten dollars. In fact, I was. I took home about $165 every two weeks then. My monthly rent was $165. So I had $165 left each month for things like food and transportation (which was a monthly bus pass since I couldn't afford a car), electricity, phone service, and clothes. Oh, and the Columbia record and tape club. What was I thinking?

6 comments:

  1. I like be the big Santa. And what memories from that snow globe. That’s NYC a few days after it snows. Brown and dingy. I was like you in 78. Low income. High expectations. And my rent was $200 a month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, sweet collection :)
    I remember hesitating to drive my car at all during the school week (while I was away at school), because I had only one day of work per week -- I went home to St. Louis every weekend and worked one day as a waitress. So, I made about $20/week. I took riders on my weekend trips home to STL so that they would help with gas money... it was a whopping $.74/gallon (that really was high, in 1978!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haa, snap! I have the English brother of the tall Santa. I do remember Christmas shops doing business all year round when I drove up the i95 Florida to Washington in the 80's for a couple of months. Long time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. >>What was I thinking?
    Well...you still have and enjoy the snow globe. How are those Columbia tapes and records looking these days?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had very old snow globes lose their liquid, too. No idea where it goes, or how, since the thing is still sealed. Science-y people might know.
    I like the English Santa.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that 12 days of Christmas card~! It looks like the dancing ladies are from the
    roaring 20's! My snow globe is still going strong - mine was a gift with an Eiffel Tower. I guess I'll need to watch it more carefully for it's demise.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!