Sunday, December 22, 2019

A delicious lunch

As he's been doing for thirty-eight years now, Ken made my favorite birthday meal on Saturday: steak au poivre with a cognac cream sauce. Except we used calvados (apple brandy) instead of cognac. This year we splurged for beef filet, what Americans call filet mignon. In France, the term filet mignon refers only to pork tenderloin. For beef, they say filet de bœuf.

Crispy-dry but still fruity. Senior moment: I forgot to wipe the water spots off the glasses before I took the picture.

We started with some Champagne, a generous gift from California friends Jill and Peter. As usual, we served the steak with French fries. We drank a 2017 Bourgeuil (cabernet franc). Then we had a salad course, and cheese after. Dessert was an apple tart that I made with gorgeous Belchard apples from the Pays de Loire glazed with Ken's home-made apple jelly. I didn't take a photo of the main course, but Ken did and posted it here.

Tarte aux pommes. The apples are layered on a filling of our home-made applesauce.

Everything turned out perfectly and we enjoyed the day. And now I'm eligible for senior discounts on the trains. Woo-hoo!

13 comments:

  1. Wishing you a belated happy birthday and good things for the year ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Belated Birthday! That meal looked utterly delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are outstanding photos, of outstanding things! Here's to a great year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday! Yummy dinner from start to finish!! L&L

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday, Walt.What a perfect feast to accompany your special day. So you're now eligible to enjoy the discounts that come with the onset of dotage.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you celebrated in style, Walt! Your bow in the center of that tarte will have to be copied by me! Did you like the new cut of boeuf? Now, really, the question is, with all of the strikes happening, when will you be trying out your new train discount?

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Forgot: Happy Birthday (I knew it was coming...mine was Wednesday)

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOO HOO! HAPPY BRITHDAY! I gave you a shout-out on my blog. lovely meal. and being a senior ain't all bad; the discounts are fabu! I turned 65 in september.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks to all for your warm greetings! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Many happy returns!!
    "Come celebrate with me that every day something has tried to kill me and has failed." - L. Clifton.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!