Monday, December 23, 2019

Everybody knows...

...a little glass of calvados helps to make the season bright. That, and those 'tater tots with their eyes all aglow.

Calvados is apple brandy from Normandy.

The wind keeps on blowing out there. It's not horrible, but the gusts make the house move and creak through the night. And walking face into the wind in the morning is no fun. Yesterday afternoon, just before I went out with Tasha, we had a squall blow through. The sky darkened and ice pellets fell for a few minutes. The ground turned white in a few places. The clouds blew on through and we had a nice sunset. I had to cut my walk short, though, because some hunter was out there shooting. Bam! Bam! I can't wait for the hunting season to end.

7 comments:

  1. Great picture again, Walt! That 50mm f/1.4 IS a very good lens, isn't it? I don't quite get the 'tater tots? I guess you're referring to the Christmas lights, but where do potatoes come in? Hahaha. :)) Could you explain that expression, please? Would appreciate it very much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of such as libation. Groovy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, I just love these photos with the tree in the background--the colors of the whole composition, and the difference in textures, make a really great photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would hate hunting season. It was in the low 20s here today! I saw a couple out for a swim... in their underwear!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Again, yes, Judith, I totally agree that Walt has once again taken a truely magnificent photo! When the Christmas bulbs are blurry and the focus in the front is perfect I feel the atmosphere in the room and it makes me feel warm and so comforting! Very "Christmasy". Could be an ad photo for Calvados.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Last year in Normandy, at a family luncheon, I was offered some homemade Calvados. I wanna tell you, it clears out your sinuses right fast. Whooeee.
    Super picture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. elgee, the line, "...tiny tots with their eyes all aglow will find it hard to sleep tonight" is from the Christmas Song. Tater tots are little deep-fried balls made with grated potato. Decades ago, I saw a Christmas card with a photo of tater tots that had eyes attached to them and I've never forgotten the line.

    michael, très groovy!

    judy, thanks!

    mitch, I'm not opposed to hunting, but on the shortest days we have to compete with the hunters during daylight. The hunters always win. They have the guns.

    mary, the lights on the tree are twinkling, so half of them weren't lit in the exposure. I should've turned them to "steady!"

    emm, we've tasted some local home-made plum brandy. Same effect!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!