Thursday, December 26, 2019

Melt my heart

We enjoyed our annual fondue savoyarde (cheese fondue) on Christmas Eve. We started doing this toward the end of our years in San Francisco, probably at least twenty years ago now. It's a nice treat that doesn't compete with the upcoming turkey feast, and it's fun. For years we had a 1970s-style fondue pot that used that little can of Sterno for heat. It wasn't easy to regulate. Then, a few years ago, we found this electric fondue pot on sale here in France. It works great, and being able to regulate the heat lets us keep the cheese melted, not sticking to the bottom or burning.

Après-ski without the ski.

There are typically two types of cheese mixed for a fondue. They should be mountain cheeses from eastern France. This year we used three: comté, gruyère, and emmental. The last two are French versions of the classic Swiss cheeses of the same names, which originated just across the border. The cheeses are grated and melted in a mix of white wine and a shot of Kirsch (cherry brandy), a little garlic, salt, pepper, and a pinch of nutmeg. When it's ready, we dip in with cubes of dried out French bread and cubes of fresh apple. We served a green salad after. Tasty and filling!

6 comments:

  1. I love both fondues : fondue savoyarde and fondue bourguignonne!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And yet again my mouth is watering. I can’t remember the last time I had GOOD cheese fondue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did fondue savoyarde a couple of times for Christmas Eve. Yumm yummm.
    I hope you enjoyed your turkey sandwiches today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh man, I would LOVE to share that fondue pot with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. chm, me too!

    mitch, do you remember the last time you had bad cheese fondue?

    judy, they were great!

    anne marie, the more the merrier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, I CAN remember quite well. And if you count Velveeta as cheese (because, as she said, “it’s the best for melting”) the memories get worse.

      Delete

Tell me what you think!