Saturday, April 05, 2014

Look what I found

Do you ever just play with Google maps/earth? I usually start out innocently enough by looking something up (hey, I wonder where that is?). Then my exploration starts and I'm halfway around the globe looking at cities, airports, buildings, and rivers in satellite view. I've always been fascinated by maps and Google Earth is like cotton candy to my sweet tooth.

Can you see the jet in the center, just above Russel Square? Image captured from Google Maps/Satellite View.

The other day I was tooling around London's posh Bloomsbury district and was surprised by the sight above. An airliner heading south, just about before it would turn west to land at Heathrow -- that's an assumption on my part given where the plane is and the direction it's going; it could have been heading further south to Gatwick. I did a screen capture to save the image, and Bob's your uncle. Cheerio, guv'nah.

10 comments:

  1. Marvellous. Maps like this are also useful in reminding us just how insignificant as individuals we are in the overall scheme of things (if there is one). The further back an image pulls it makes me realise how petty so many of our squabbles can be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right. I find Google Earth totally addictive. I always use it to look up addresses instead Google Maps or other mapping sites. And don't get me started on Street View. Anyway, finding the airplane in the image is very cool. This just eggs me on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suffer from the same map addiction. Before I know it, hours have slipped away. Cool pic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. it is a fascinating photo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Almost like winning the lottery! :)

    I also spent countless hours looking at maps when I was a kid. Needless to say that I am a Google Earth addict. Also a cheap way to travel! I love exploring cities with street view. I think I know the city of Rome better than many Romans. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just want to add that I also explored Saint-Aignan with street view sometimes last year. Do you know that city? :P

      Delete
    2. jon, oh, just a little... lol

      Delete
  6. Bloomsbury would be fun to explore on foot! My views were always from the city bus going between different parts of London - back in 2007. I saw so many interesting townhouses and I remember one courtyard that had white columns at the entrance that was inviting. Now, I'll have to become a google earth addict like the rest of you, I guess. No trip in the immediate future...although I am planning on one in 2015! Maybe I'll have to think about including England as well as France.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Google Earth....it can be very addictive....you have a nice capture photo.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!