Saturday, December 05, 2020

Another view

Still walking the paths between the wheat fields down in the river valley. Our usual route takes us around this field. We're walking to the right, then will loop around and come back toward the left just inside those woods you see in the background. I'm looking in the opposite direction from yesterday's photo.

Another field planted in winter wheat this year.

I think I'm going in to town this morning to see what's going on with the market schedule over the holidays. Saint-Aignan's normal market day is Saturday, but Christmas Eve is on Thursday this year. That means that, unless there's a special market mid-week, people will have to pick up their holiday birds five or six (depending on which town) days in advance (remember: French tradition is to have the big holiday meal on Christmas Eve night, not on Christmas Day). That seems (to me) a little too long to keep a fresh bird in the fridge. I'm hopeful that the poultry people will be either here or in a neighboring town on Wednesday or Thursday for pickups. I'll keep you posted.

6 comments:

  1. I hope you get your bird when you want it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That wheat must have been drilled in October by its size, ours goes in early Sept and one can't see the brown soil now. Looks a healthy crop there though. No yellows (manganese deficiency or mildew).
    The nearest market here also operates on a Saturday, but doesn't have the variety that one sees in France. Yours always look so immensely colourful. I have been shopping online all year with Waitrose, the quality is excellent, & of course from our own crops and kitchen garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for taking us on your walk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do keep us posted... I love following this kind of stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Again I am mad-jealous about the notion of having a nearby market. I would so like one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. mitch, it's ordered!

    pats, October sounds about right.

    bettyann, :)

    judy, update in Sunday's post!

    michael, we have several within a decent driving distance, all on different days of the week. Still, the closest is the easiest and it's on Saturday mornings.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!