Monday, December 21, 2020

The solstice is here! The solstice is here!

The days won't be getting any shorter now, and before long we'll be able to tell that they're lengthening, at least up here in the northern hemisphere. Of course, it's the first day of winter, and January and February are typically our coldest months. So there's still that to look forward to.

Gargoyle, Amboise, scanned color slide, October 2000.

Today is predicted to be wet and warm. Ken said it was already raining when he got up. It's my morning to walk the dog, so I may have to go out in it, unless we have a break right around sunrise. And, since it got more and more overcast through the night, there was no opportunity to see Saturn and Jupiter shaking hands. Except for the Google Doodle.

6 comments:

  1. For the last few Winters our most sustained cold periods have all, or mostly, been pre-Xmas - so yours too, I imagine. I see that we/you are expected to get a freezing Arctic blast on Thurs and for some days after, but I'm trusting it won't be so prolonged as to pile further onto the current Covid miseries we're all now experiencing.
    As much as you're able to, do have a nice - and safe - Xmas, all of you, doggie included. Something to lighten the darkness as we await the nights to noticeable shorten.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah well, we're still hovering at a 1 percent chance of rain. The sun is shining. A nice place to walk Tasha. I love gargoyles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh, I was thinking that was tonight, because... 21st. But, I didn't think about midnight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday, Walt! I’m sure you’ve already enjoyed your steak au poivre.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very happy birthday! May this new year be your best one yet! hugs!

    about the conjunction I am fortunate to have clear skies. I saw them last night close together, It was a nice site - through binoculars.

    ReplyDelete
  6. raybeard, the winters have been very mild lately, that's for sure. Happy Christmas to you!

    mitch, we're dodging the raindrops, but it's eerily warm.

    judy, :)

    bettyann, thanks! Yes, and it was tasty!

    michael, thank you! I'm glad you got to see it. I'm making do with photos in the media.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!