Saturday, December 12, 2020

Same-old Saturday

The rain is discouraging me from taking my camera out on our walks, so I'm continuing with the twenty-year old slides from our Loire Valley trip in the fall of 2000. This is Amboise, again. If I remember correctly, I was up on the roof of the Tour des Minimes, one of two huge towers that enclose spiral ramps from the ground level up to the top of the bluff and the royal residence, when I took this shot looking over the center of town.

The castle's flags fly high over the slate rooftops of central Amboise.

Amboise is a must-see stop on any tourist's visit to the Loire Valley. The château is certainly worth a look (Leonardo da Vinci is buried on the grounds), da Vinci's residence and a museum dedicated to his engineering ideas is a short walk away, and the city itself is charming, walkable, and filled with shops and restaurants. Amboise also has an impressive Sunday market on the riverbank with food, flowers, and all manner of household goods on display. Of course, the covid situation has impacted tourism around the world, and the Loire Valley is no exception. Maybe next year things will be better.

5 comments:

  1. It looks (and sounds) like the kind of town I'd enjoy. I love the photo. It has the look of a black & white that's been colorised.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Betsy, Doug, and I went, during our last trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter and I sat outside and had dinner with a view of the chateau. I finally found soupe à l'oignon and I wasn't disappointed. The colors of the flags set off the slate roofs of Amboise! I like it!

    Mary in Oregon

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had not thought of the Loire Valley as a tourist destination.
    Someday I would like to visit you and see the sights.

    ReplyDelete
  5. mitch, that look is because I toned down the blue color that was too saturated in the original slide. I like the result, too.

    judy, cool!

    mary, sounds tasty! And fun!

    michael, it's a big tourist destination. All the châteaux, a world-renowned zoo, and it's wine country!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!