Friday, January 28, 2022

La fac

The 28 story tour Zamansky is a focal point on the campus of la faculté des sciences et ingénierie de Sorbonne Université (the school of science and engineering of Sorbonne University). The campus was known as l'université Pierre-et-Marie-Curie and Paris VI until 2017. Before the construction of the campus in 1964, the site was home to the old Halle aux vins de Paris (Paris Wine Market). The fifth arrondissement neighborhood is known as Jussieu and Parisians refer to the campus simply as Jussieu.

A view in black and white, faculté des sciences et ingénierie seen from the rue des Ecoles.

Between 2006 and 2009, the tower and the surrounding campus were renovated to remove the asbestos used in its original construction. The tower is named for Marc Zamansky, a noted mathematician and dean of the school of science from 1961 to 1970. All of this information comes from Wikipedia.

4 comments:

  1. What the fac? Not the most exciting addition to the Paris skyline.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From time to time, I enjoy B&W photos!i

    ReplyDelete
  3. mitch, the building is a nice example of the international style (think Seagram Building in Manhattan), in my humble opinion. I guess having done my undergrad studies in architecture gives me a little bit of a bias...

    chm, I hope this is one of those times! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love the Seagram’s Building and especially like contrasts in architecture. But I guess I’d have to be there to appreciate this one. Walking around the plaza and neighborhood might help.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!