Tuesday, January 04, 2022

Le jardin

Longing for summer in the northern hemisphere? Here's a little respite from winter. Le Jardin du Luxembourg (Luxembourg Gardens) in central Paris on a hot early September morning back in 2011. When I first lived in Paris (1981), my place was not far from the garden. I used to walk around or through it to get to and from class each day. On nice Sundays I would eat my bag-lunch (a sandwich, a piece of fruit, and a yogurt) there.

Looking west across the garden's central basin and fountain. September 2011.

The gardens were first developed in the early seventeenth century by Marie de Medicis, Queen of France and Regent at that time. She lived in the palace on what would become the northern border of the gardens. Since 1799, the palace has been the seat of the French Senate.

7 comments:

  1. What a beautiful memory of lunches in Paris. Made me think of my lunches on a ledge in the plaza at Rockefeller Center. Not quite the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never looked for la tour Eiffel when I was there, but I see it in your photo. Sympa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit that I've never been to Le Jardin du Luxembourg. And several places in Paris I've been to many times.
    Your lunch memory there sounds heavenly! I think it would be fun to sail one of the toy boats (I'm still a kid!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. mitch, I'd do that!

    judy, :)

    evelyn, next time!

    wilma, for sure.

    mary, I was living in a "pension" (boarding house) then. The woman who ran it provided breakfast and dinner each day, except on Sunday when she made simple bag lunches that we picked up in the morning. On bad weather days I ate in my room, but on nice days I went to the park.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When my daughter and I were searching for her "junior year abroad" destination which was going to be in France, she was eager to locate in Paris. I encouraged her to find another place as she would undoubtedly return to Paris many times during her life while her study abroad location could introduce her to another region. Avignon was the destination and University that met her needs but hearing about your stay in Paris, maybe we should have reconsidered the grand city!

      Delete

Tell me what you think!