Sunday, January 02, 2022

New Year's Tart

I made the first tarte aux pommes (apple tart) of the year yesterday. I used applesauce that I made from our own apples back in 2020 (and frozen) as the base, with store-bought reine des reinettes (queen of the pippins) on top. It was pretty tasty, if I do say so myself.

Tarte aux pommes, New Year's Day 2022.

Now it's time to start thinking about making pâte feuilletée (flaky pastry) for the traditional galette des rois (kings' cake) next week. The cake, more of a pastry than a cake, is traditionally made or bought and eaten around the Epiphany each year. I make my own because the bakery versions are quite pricey.

10 comments:

  1. You do make a very attractive looking tart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As usual, your tart is art. I might treat myself to a roscon de reyes this year (our version of your galette des Rois, I think).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mitchell won’t mind, I hope, if I steal what he said and say, this tart is a work of art!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Walt,
    I never made an apple tart (apple pies yes) but I was thinking of making one this year. And you have just given me inspiration. A beautiful tart indeed. The challenge will be making the crust which I plan to do by pressing it in the tart pan. This will be the first time I use my tart pan which I've had at least twenty-five years. Embarrassing I know. I'll take a picture and post when I do, good or bad.
    Have a happy new year!

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  5. It’s not pretty, it’s gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are off to great start to the year with this beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh the ecstasy! What a splendid looking dessert! You do so well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. andrew, I'm not sure how to take that... LOL!

    mitch, thanks! I say go for it. Yum.

    ron, a tip: you can use parchment paper or foil to line the crust, then fill it with pie weights (or dried beans) and blind-bake it before adding the filling. Makes for a crispier crust. Good luck!

    judy, :)

    bettyann, and tasty, too!

    wilma, :)

    michael, decades of (not always successful) practice!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!