Monday, January 10, 2022

L'autre tour

The second tallest structure in Paris is the Tour Montparnasse. It's the tallest building in the city and was the tallest building in France from its completion in 1973 until 2011 when it was surpassed by another office building at La Défense in the Paris suburbs. The tower is 59 stories tall with both indoor and outdoor observation decks at the top. The building sits at the southern end of the rue de Rennes just in front of the Gare Montparnasse, one of the city's major train terminals.

The Tour Montparnasse seen from the Centre Pompidou, September 2011.

I've been up there several times over the years (decades) and took many photos. Most of them are color slides that are packed away. One day I'd like to digitize some of those. I have the scanner and the software, it's just a matter of doing it. Inertia is a powerful force.

8 comments:

  1. It sits comfortably among its surrounds. Non?

    You are the second person I have read today who mentioned personal inertia. I too am suffering from this unfortunate malaise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh! We gain 2 minutes of daylight today!?
    I love the Parisian bakery sign :)
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love visiting observation decks at the top of tall buildings.

    Sassybear
    www.idleeyesandadormy.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep saying I’m going to go up but in almost 20 trips to Paris I haven’t made it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One day late
    https://actu.fr/ile-de-france/paris_75056/quels-sont-les-noms-inscrits-sur-la-tour-eiffel-a-paris-et-comment-ont-ils-ete-choisis_47747467.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. That puts into perspective how low-lying Paris is., which is not a bad thing. Fifty-nine stories wouldn't even get mentioned in New Yawk.

    ReplyDelete
  7. andrew, my motto is, "One thing a day." Even if that thing is just opening a bottle of wine. LOL

    judy, that's what the weather web site tells me!

    sean, I used to, too. Haven't done it in a while.

    bettyann, it's worth it on a clear day, and less crowded than the Eiffel Tower. Or, at least it used to be.

    chm, "On sait peu de choses sur la manière dont les noms ont été choisis." They should have stopped right there. LOL!

    emm, true!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!