Friday, January 07, 2022

La fève

Hey, there's a dump truck in my cake! This is the fève that I put into our galette des rois this week. It's a little ceramic truck that came in a kings' cake many years ago when we were still buying them. I saved about a dozen ceramic fèves back then. Now I use them again in my own cakes.

Slightly blurry photo of the fève baked inside our kings' cake.

Neither one of us got the fève because it was revealed when Ken cut the first slice. I've heard that the tradition for cutting the galette is that a kid sits under the table and decides who gets each piece as it's cut. That way nobody can know where the fève is, even if the person cutting the cake sees it. Well, with just the two of us we have to do the slicing on the honor system. Ken and I share the crown this year.

5 comments:

  1. That’s a fun fève. Do you buy something new ever year?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could you train Tasha to sit under the table and decide who receives the feve? Tasha's nose is facing this direction!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So you both will have good luck this year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know this either!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!