Sunday, January 30, 2022

Le muséum

Building (pun intended) on yesterday's post, this is la grande galerie d l'Evolution (The Great Gallery of Evolution) at the muséum national d'histoire naturelle (National Natural History Museum) in Paris. It was completed in 1889, around the same time as the Eiffel Tower. I think it's the largest of the museum's buildings. The grounds include a large formal garden, big greenhouses with tropical and desert plants, an alpine garden, a mineralogy and geology building, a small zoo, a botanical building, a paleontology and comparative anatomy building, a library, and several other attractions.

The northeast façade of the grande galerie de l'Evolution, Paris, April 2009.

The grande galerie de l'Evolution was completely renovated in the early 1990s. I visited it for the first time in 2009 and took this photo from the formal garden that stretches to the place Valhubert on the Seine. The majority of the flower beds were filled with colorful poppies. I took a lot of photos inside, too, but most of those didn't work too well.

6 comments:

  1. One of my very favorite places in the world. So 19th century in its collection. We always recommend it and the gardens to visitors who come with children especially.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Forgot to add that this is an exquisite shot that captures the best of the Jardin des Plantes. Hope your Tasha is doing ok, and is not too frustrated being confined as she heals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a place that I never thought about or visited when I was living in Paris, but I did go to it in 1996, just after its big renovation. The architects in the family (I was with Betsy, Doug, and my mom) wanted to see it. Fascinating! It was spring, so flowers were in bloom, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Before I saw the full photo, I thought it was the Musée d’Orsay! We can see the minaret of the mosque.

    ReplyDelete
  5. kiwi, thanks! Tasha is doing well. We have to resist the urge to let her put too much stress on her leg.

    judy, cool!

    chm, I noticed the minaret, too, but forgot to mention it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful view, building, and gardens. That’s someplace I’d love to visit.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!