Monday, January 03, 2022

Les dômes

This photo is from September 2011 when one of my cousins visited Paris. I took the train up and spent a couple of nights. The weather was gorgeous, hot even. T-shirt weather. Walking was nice, and I got to do a solo walk or two while my cousin visited some of the monuments on his own. I met him one afternoon and we visited the Rodin museum together then made our way across the river to the Arc de Triomphe. A nice walk, indeed.

The stone tower on the left is the church of Saint-Sulpice.

I don't remember if he went up into the Eiffel Tower on that day, but I know I didn't. I took this photo after we crossed the river to the plaza at the Palais de Chaillot. The two domes are the Panthéon (in the background, before the restoration project) and the church at les Invalides, both back on the left bank. Under that gilded dome is the tomb of Napoléon Bonaparte.

11 comments:

  1. I remember that visit. We had connected less than a year earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tower in the extreme left is one of the two of the Saint-Sulpice church.
    The Dôme des Invalides is a familiar sight for me!
    The photo is excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a third dôme, but you can see only the lanternon of it; it is the dôme of the Institut de France. Right left of the Pantheon you can see the top of Tour Clovis, part of the Henri IV highschool.

      Delete
    2. Now I’m not sure about the dôme of the Institut. If you google Dômes à Paris, you’ll find so many, it’s hard to choose...

      Delete
  3. I think the dome at les Invalides is one of the prettiest sights in Paris. Thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a beautiful for a photography walk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The photograph is a cruel and unusual punishment. When and if ever will we be able to return to Paris and its delights? Roderick

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would someday like to see Paris; who knows now if that will ever happen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. mitch, your memory is better than mine!

    chm, so many domes, so little time!

    judy, so some of these are repeat photos for you and mitchell...

    bettyann, San Francisco City Hall's dome is similar.

    wilma, it was a great day for a walk!

    roderick, I know. I haven't been back in nearly 4 years!

    michael, good question!

    ReplyDelete
  8. chm, from what I can tell, the small greenish dome between St.-Sulpice and the Panthéon is the bell tower of St.-Etienne du Mont. The tower between that and the Panthéon is part of the Lyée Henri IV. The flat grey dome just in front of the Panthéon is part of the church at les Invalides, between the tall guilded dome and the nave.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!